Saturday, December 15, 2007

Stop and smell

Talking a walk with Samuel is quite an experience. I've had to learn that it's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

This is what a walk with him looks like. His favorite position is the squat. I constantly find myself twenty or so feet in front of him. I wonder what he's looking at.

Must be really cool.

"Samuel, we have to go. Your sister needs a nap." This is the I hear you but I'm not listening look.

At this point, I'm getting a bit frustrated. The little one is crying in her stroller and the big one is intent on finishing whatever he's doing. Remember journey not destination, journey not destination.

You know that when he turns his back, he really isn't listening. So what can I do? Walk toward him and get down and see what he's collecting. I can hardly take the anticipation, can you?

Pieces of concrete. How cool is that?


I've long given up on trying to walk with him for exercise. It would be useless and I would be fat. But what is a walk all about? It's about what you see, what you feel, what you smell. If you're in a hurry, you miss a lot.

I know this time of year, we get rushed. We're busy. Too many things to do. Take the time to squat. Look closely at things. Pick up some concrete. Smell the wonderful smells. Touch your loved ones. We get so caught up in trying to get somewhere, we forget to enjoy the ride.




2 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Stop and smell the concrete.... :-)

Hallie

Rising Rainbow said...

The ride is important, that's for sure.