Sunday, January 20, 2008

Who needs sleep?


When you become a mom you give up a few things. Well, maybe more than a few. Let me name the one thing that I probably miss the most, sleeping in. This is something I miss more than you could ever imagine. I'm not an early bird and being the mom of not only an early bird but a very energetic chattering blue jay, is hard. He seems to have two speeds, all out or asleep. I wish he had a little gear shift that gave him a few speeds in between, especially in the mornings. How anybody can wake up talking as much as he does, boggles my mind.

I remember in the years before children, lying in my bed, looking at the clock and realizing I have nowhere to be, nothing to do and then falling back into a deep sleep. Thinking about it makes my mouth water with the distant beautiful memory. I know the day will come when I will be able to do it again. It might be ten years, but it will come.

There are days when George will take the kids and let me sleep. But somehow one of them, usually the bigger one will sneak up a few dozen times to ask me a question or tell me something his little sister has done or ask for a drink. IS YOUR DAD NOT DOWNSTAIRS? is what I want to scream but I don't. I slowly get out of bed and make a triple espresso and start the day. I even have the kids trained to not ask me for anything until I'm done with my coffee. Kind of sad....

You would think that I would slowly begin to morph into a morning person but unfortunately, I don't think that will ever happen. I know that if I went to bed early, it would help.George usually goes upstairs to bed at 8:30 or 9:00. But those few hours at night are my time. I can watch mindless shows on TV, or just sit on the couch and enjoy the rare stillness. Many nights I go up at 9:00 and I end up reading until midnight. As soon as I hear, "Mom, hey mom!" at dawn, I immediately regret my stupid decision to stay up late. That's what caffeine is for, right?

0 comments: