Sunday, February 3, 2008

Differences

I am continually amazed at my children's differences. George assures me that he actually saw them come out of me and that they are indeed both ours. As a parent, I have the priviledge to watch my kids personalities develop and blossom, different as they are. I try hard not to compare them to one another. Instead I am blown away by how unique and wonderful they are.


Yesterday was a warm day so I decided to take the kids for a walk. I reminded Samuel that he had to clean up his Legos before we left. After five reminders, he had not begun to clean. I was ready to go. So guess who stayed home? And guess who was not happy about it?

Sophia and I set out. I put her in her stroller with a snack and a drink. She was set.




When we got to the field, I typically like to let the kids run around. Usually, I have Samuel with me and he takes off like a madman. Today, it was just Sophia. I took her out of the stroller and told her we would leave her snack in the stroller until later. She immediately started yelling, "Snack, snack!" And then tried to climb back in her stroller. She didn't want to walk at all. I persisted and she was not happy.













This is what she looked like. Not too happy with mom. Why did you take me out of my carriage, take my snack away, and make me walk? Are you nuts? I was so comfortable.
So what did she do as I walked ten or so feet in front of her? She yelled, "Hold you, hold you, hold you" over and over and over.












Finally I gave up. I walked her back to her throne, gave her her snack, and she was happy. No more tears.







The reason I am a little taken back at this behavior is because her brother was and is so different. He hated that stroller and I could never keep him in it. I couldn't bribe him with a snack. He wanted out and would whine and cry until we finally reached our destination. Once there, he would run around looking at rocks, ant hills, sticks, touching everything. His sister is very content to take a back seat, look at things from a distance, have a snack.

I embrace their differences, I really do. It's so cool to be able to watch two once helpless creatures grow into little people. I've always said that Samuel will one day grow into his huge personality. Looks like our little princess is not too far behind.

0 comments: