Monday, May 12, 2008

Tadpole sushi, anyone?


Is it only Monday? I have a feeling it's going to be a long week.

It must be tadpole season. Samuel has been in the creek alot. Yesterday, he somehow caught a huge one with his bare hands. This guy is pretty close to being a frog. Of course, he had to come home with us. Today, he went back to the creek and caught ten small ones. Right before dinner, I went to the backyard to see what he was doing.
"Hey, mom."
"What are you doing?"
"Oh, I just made a little swing for my tadpoles. They like swinging, especially if I push them real hard."

We ate our dinner outside because the weather has been perfect lately. I left the kids outside for a second while I ran in to get something in the kitchen. When I returned, I saw Sophia playing in her food. I handed her a fork and guess what I saw amongst the rice and chicken? The huge tadpole flopping around and Sophia was gleefully laughing, trying to pick it up. Knowing my daughter it would have gone straight for the mouth.

I looked at the naughty one and he had that look of his, the one that is oh so familiar. It's the I hope she's not too mad at me, maybe if I just look super cute and smile she'll forget what I did, look.

You know, I didn't get too mad. Actually, I was a little proud. I got a real boy. A boy's boy. I wouldn't want it any other way.

As I was leaving to go teach my spin class tonight, I asked him if he wanted to go with me.
"What? How? I've got a universe to save. Bad guys are everywhere and I've got work to do."
And with that, he ran out to the backyard.

No, I wouldn't change a thing.

0 comments: