Friday, September 26, 2008

Update

Wednesday night we got a call from Samuel's teacher. She left a message and left us her home phone number. Ok, she calls me Shelley and I have her home phone? What's next, meeting for a beer? No, she's great and I'm glad she wants to communicate.

We talked for 45 minutes. She spoke to me both as a mom and a teacher. We brainstormed and came up with some good ideas to try with Samuel. She did tell me that she really thought that Samuel was making the choice to misbehave. That she didn't see other "things" that made it more difficult to behave. When she said this, I told her that this was almost worse. We can't blame it on anything...

So on Wednesday, after he had been on warning three all day and sent to the principal, he came back to the classroom. He still was not listening. The paraprofessional told Samuel that he needed to get it together. His response was, "I'm already on warning three and I've been sent to the principal. What else can happen to me?" Wow, is all I can say. It sounds to me that he is pushing limits to see what will happen.

He had a good day yesterday and I hope he holds it together today. Maybe he'll realize that when he behaves, life is more pleasant, both at home and at school. It's just so hard to have to be so incredibly structured and consistent. I feel almost like a drill sergeant. If I give him any room, he'll take huge leaps. When he was in the principal's office, he apparently tried to get her off topic. He was in trouble, and he was supposed to be sitting there quietly thinking about the awful things that he had done. Instead, he was engaging her in conversation. I can just hear him, "So, how are you doing today. Nice office you got here." Thankfully, she didn't fall for his charm. I sort of think he was a little proud of himself. That night, when he was in bed, he said "I can't believe I actually went to the principa'ls office. Wow!" There was a some pride in his voice.

So, we are taking one day at a time. I am practicing some deep breathing. I might have to add yoga to my workout. I know God gave us this wonderful boy for a reason. He has an amazing plan for his life.

0 comments: