Wednesday, September 24, 2008

In trouble

You know when you get a phone call in the middle of the day from your son's school, it can't be good. When you get two phone calls, it's really not good.

My cell phone rang around noon. I was luckily in the car on the way to a school.
"Shelley?" First bad sign. Your son's teacher is on a first name basis with you.
"This is Mrs D."
"Oh, no."
"I'm sorry to call you during the day but .......

And she proceeded to tell me that my son had been on warning three all day and was apparently not learning from his mistakes. He got recess taken away and the next step was the principal's office. So guess where he ended up?

George had the privilege of talking to the assistant principal who proceeded to tell him that Samuel decided he wanted to dance during Spanish class instead of sitting and listening after repeated warnings. Heck, wouldn't you rather dance?

So, I'm discouraged. I'm not surprised that he had to go to the office. And I'm sure he's got plenty more visits in his future. But that doesn't take away the fact that it's hard to see the kid you love more than life, struggling.

I just don't get it. He had three great weeks and bam!, the issues have begun. Will they want to label him? I don't know. I'm not sure what the school is thinking. George and I have come up with our own plan that we will tie into the school behavior plan. It's simple and I hope effective. If it doesn't work, I'm not sure what we'll do. School is so hard. I think it's especially hard on boys. Maybe even harder on bright, non-conforming, stubborn, distractable.....
Do I need to go on?

0 comments: