Monday, October 1, 2007

My little super hero


Samuel has been Batman all weekend. I took him to Target to pick a Halloween costume on Saturday morning. Once he saw the Batman one with the rippling muscles, it was all over. As soon as he got home, he put it on and he immediately turned into the character. It's got this great cape and when he runs, the cape makes it seem likes he's flying. He and his accomplice, Maia, our dog, went out to save the world, or at least the cul-de-sac. I watched him from the window as he hid behind the tree, waiting. When one of the neighbors drove by, he'd wait until they got out of their cars, and fly down to them to see if they needed help or at least show off his cool costume. Yesterday afternoon, several of our neighbors came by to ask me about the costume party we are having. Apparently, Samuel has invited everyone to a Halloween costume party that doesn't exist.
He's an amazing storyteller. I constantly have people coming up to me about things Samuel has told them. The child care worker at the gym told me how sorry she was that Sophia had broken her leg. What? The other day, Debbie, who takes care of him when I work, told me that Samuel told her that he got to go to Ms. Karen's office at school. When she asked why, he said, that's were the best kids in the whole school get to go. I know better.... Part of it is his imagination and part of it his incredible ability to manipulate.
The other day at Chik-fil-a, he decided to change out his toy for an ice cream. I made him go do it himself. I watched him as he walked up to the counter and engaged the lady in a lengthy conversation. The free ice cream you get is a cup of plain vanilla. When Samuel returned, he had a cup of vanilla ice cream, covered in whipped cream, smothered in chocolate sauce and topped with a cherry. He had such a triumphant look on his face that I couldn't help but be proud. I gave the lady behind the counter a little wave and she just shook her head and smiled. My son, the super hero.

0 comments: