Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fortunate

I don't talk about my job very much on my blog. Partly because this is a public blog and I don't want to upset any of my students and their families. I work with home bound students. Most of them cannot go to school because they are too sick. I go to their homes and bring school to them. I feel very fortunate to have this job. It's flexible, not too stressful and I feel like I am able to bring something to these families.

Today I met one of my little students for the first time. He is a first grader. He used to be a bundle of energy. He never stopped. He used to run, hop, skip, and talk none stop. Over time his parents starting noticing some delays. Then one day they got the diagnosis: a brain tumor. It has affected his speech, his motor abilities,his vision, his personality. He no longer runs around. You have to strain to understand him. Both parents are mourning for the kid they used to have while trying to accept the one they have. The future is unknown. His prognosis is uncertain.

I came home to my bundle of energy. He actually had been sent to bed early by daddy because he wasn't behaving. I went upstairs to check up on him. I kissed his forehead and thanked God for his naughtiness.

0 comments: