Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Future deliquent?


On Saturday afternoon I took Samuel to see Wall-E. It was right up his alley. It had robots, space and alot of action. Much of it went over his head but I think he got the gist of it.


I don't like paying the astronomical amount of money for a movie. That's why we don't go very often. But what I really dislike is the cost of snacks. You're paying an arm and a leg for the movie and now they want me to shell out fifteen more bucks for popcorn and a drink? I don't think so.


So I bring my own. I have since I can remember. It must have started in Spain. I recall putting candy in my pockets or in my mom's purse. I don't remember feeling any guilt. Once, as a college student, we somehow managed to sneak an entire pizza in the theatre. And, it was a dollar theatre. I still didn't feel guilty.


So, Saturday, I popped some of my own popcorn and put it into baggies. I put two juice boxes in my purse. We stopped at CVS, gave Samuel a dollar, and he picked out a bag of candy. We were set to go. As we were getting close to the theatre, I asked Samuel to put his candy in his pocket.


"Why?"

"So, they won't see it."

"Who?"

"The people that work there."

"Are we doing something bad?"

"Not really."

"Is it like lying? What if they frisk us?" (How does a five year old know what frisk is anyway?)


I cleverly avoided his prying questions as we walked into the theatre. He took my hand, patted the candy in his pocket, and gave me a sly smile. A smile that said, "I know what we're doing and I like it."


0 comments: